Jumpsuits: A Do or a Don’t?

Have you entered our giveaway to win two sets of beautiful personalized stationery?

Jumpsuits are nothing new. They’ve been making the rounds for years and probably will continue to do so…but I wonder how many women take the leap and rock them in real life? I remember seeing a number of blogger style icons workin’ rompers/playsuits last year. How many really went all out with a jumpsuit? Sure the wrong one can be unflattering, but I’ve been sold on the idea that the right one can be incredibly chic!

The Spring 2011 runways were graced with a slew of gorgeously flowy one piece looks. Elie Saab’s beautiful creations stick out in my mind as some of my favorites! Check out the entire collection from Paris Fashion Week over at Fashionologie!

elie saab

Image via Fashionologie

I’ve always found it to be sublimely sexy when a woman takes the bull by the horns and wears pants to a black tie event. A jumpsuit is a feminine way to test that concept! What do you think lovelies? Do you see a jumpsuit in your future?

french connection ripple wonder jumpsuit

French Connection Ripple Wonder Jumpsuit

halston heritage silk charmeuse jumpsuit

Halston Heritage Silk-Charmeuse Jumpsuit at Net-A-Porter

halston heritage button front jumpsuit

Halston Heritag Button-Front Jumpsuit at Zappos Couture

On a side note…My eternally talented designer friend Stacy Lomman is raising funds to put forth her Fall collection. Please consider visiting her Kickstarter page and donating. Every little bit helps this artist get one step closer to her dreams!

stacy lomman

kristin

• Sherri @ Luv a Bargain

Reminded me that I wore a burgundy jumpsuit to my Junior Dance πŸ™‚ I totally was in love with it!

January 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm Reply
  • style'n

That Halston Heritage Button Front jumpsuit is awesome!

January 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm Reply
  • Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl

Good picks, these are all very pretty jumpsuits!! And best of luck to Stacy!

January 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm Reply
    • stacy

@Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl,
      Thank you for the well wishes!
      xo

January 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm Reply
  • No Guilt Fashion

I’m usually not a big fan of jumpsuits, but I really like that first one. Maybe, if I find one I like as much as that one I’ll give it a shot.
    No Guilt Fashion

January 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm Reply
  • Jenn from Much to My Delight

#1 & 2-Yes. #3-4: No one wants to see me in those.

January 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm Reply
  • Jane @ The Borrowed Abode

I have one very similar to #2 from Forever 21. Because it’s a halter, though, I don’t find it useful in winter.
    I do love the looks, though!

January 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm Reply
  • angie

i still can’t get into jumpsuits. and i definitely know i won’t look good in them. πŸ™‚ rompers, though, is another story. <3

January 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm Reply
  • Grace

I tend to think of jumpsuits as a don’t, but it really depends on the person. The Halston version is fabulous. A friend of mine got an indigo blue version from Forever 21 last year and rocked it. She’d blow out her hair in Farrah style waves – and looked like one of Charlie’s Angels. As for me, they’re a don’t. I just feel silly and uncomfortable (and a bit like a gas station attendant.) That said, I commend anyone who wears them, but it’s not everyone that can pull off the look.

I’ll just add one last bit – Jump-suit wearers should consider ordering up a size, especially if tall. Nothing is worse than a too-tight jumpsuit… eek!

Sorry for the essay.

xx
    Grace

January 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm Reply
  • Katie

A lot of these are gorgeous!

January 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm Reply
  • anh

i think jumpers are cute as long as its worn properly. i have one from BCBG that i bought last year. it was strapless and a sweetheart neckline. loved it.

January 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm Reply
  • Tote

I have one from years ago, I should pull it out and see if it still fits!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm Reply
  • Emma

I definitely don’t have a jumpsuit figure and they always remind me of my Mum in the ’80’s so it would be a no from me I’m afraid!! x

January 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm Reply
  • Heather

The styling of the Elie Saab one is perfect! The others…I’m not feeling them as much. But I could see one in my future if I had somewhere to rock it!

January 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm Reply
  • Nikki

I think…do on the first two. I prefer that you don’t see the waiste.

January 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm Reply
  • Suz B

Those were pretty on the models, but jumpsuits are definitely a DONT for me!

January 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm Reply
  • sarah

They are a DO! for me anyway. just wore one in casco viejo here in panama. it looks lots like a dress but is even more comfortable.

January 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm Reply
  • Rachel from Love a la Mode

I have one from F21 ($15.99) that looks almost like the French Connection one above and I wear it to everything everything EVERYTHING with gold heels and a statement necklace… maybe I will have to do an outfit post on it. It looks so 70s and it’s jersey so it packs well, it’s an entire outfit in itself, love!!
    Bisous,
    Rachel
    lovealamode.wordpress.com

January 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm Reply
  • Alyson

Love the first two. Also cute with big belt to break up the look!

January 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm Reply
  • Christina

Ok so I love my romper. Obvi. But a jumpsuit is a little harder to pull off. This is where I would splurge (if I had splurging money) because I think the cut and texture would be so important. The top one is perfect. It also depends on where you live. Somewhere warm like FL or CA would be great, however, I don’t think people would be as accepting of it in Cleveland.

January 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm Reply
  • jennifer

i don’t think i’d ever be able to pull off a jumpsuit, but then again i guess you never know. maybe that should be my goal this year lol find a jumpsuit that looks good on me! in any case, for those who can pull it off.. i love it!! πŸ™‚

jennifer

January 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm Reply
  • Claire

I had a jumpsuit when I was 15. I thought I was hot. It was pink with cap sleeves and buttoned to the waist with a belt. I wore them with my white canvas pixi boots. Yeh, hot. hahaha

January 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm Reply
  • Bonnie

I like jumpsuits. That being said, I own one. One. And I wore it my junior year in high school when everyone made fun of me. SUCK IT, BITCHES. I WAS FASHION FOWARD.

January 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm Reply
  • Sherin

I fell in love with playsuits last summer. I quite like jumpsuits, and wish i have a chance to rock them. Don’t know if they’ll suit my shortness, lol.

January 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm Reply
  • ae

Jumpsuits are a no for me personally. Some people look great in them. I just do not have the body type for them.

January 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm Reply
  • Courtney

Speaking from experience (there was an ill-fated incident in my past), I love the look of a jumpsuit when it’s done right but I can definitely not pull this look off. So I’m looking forward to seeing a lot of people wear them very successfully (I think it will be a big trend in upcoming collections) but I’ll be watching from the sidelines!

xoxo ~ Courtney

January 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm Reply
  • Paulina

Great post!! πŸ™‚

January 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm Reply
  • Suburban Sweetheart

Don’t, don’t, donnnn’t. I’m so anti-jumpsuit.

January 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm Reply
  • MizzJ

Hmm I’m more tempted by the fun look of a romper than the overly 70s vibe of a jumpsuit. However both items beg the question of whether looking good is worth the hassle of becoming naked almost just to pee!

January 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm Reply
  • Rachel Fausak

I so love a great jumpsuit! I wore a halter version on NYE 2002 and it was one of my most favorite NYE outfits…unfortunately, I borrowed it from a friend and since then I have wanted to add one to my wardrobe…so I’m all for them…bring on the jumpsuits!!!

January 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm Reply
  • Moosette

For me a definite dont! I am only 5’4… so I feel that my legs are way too short to be pulling it off. I think some people can definitely look fabulous in them… just no me πŸ™

January 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm Reply
  • Jennifer @ Darling Notes

I love the first style shown, but I don’t think I could ever pull it off — I’m too short!

January 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm Reply
  • J

If you’re tall and lanky and beautiful, jumpsuits are awesome.

Any other combination might make it awkward…or downright wrong.

January 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm Reply
  • Closet Fashionista

I love jumpsuits but they would NOT look good on me…I envy those girls that can wear them, haha

January 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm Reply
  • Pie

Go for jumpsuits! One just has to know the cut or style that will best fit her.

January 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm Reply
  • Janet Mazorie

Love the Halston jumper…wouldn’t ever wear it…but it’s gorgeous!

January 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm Reply
  • Jen

I think if they are flowy and elegant like the first two, they are ok. Anything to close fitting and it’s bringing back a trend that should never resurface.

January 5, 2011 at 7:04 pm Reply
  • Tiff

I think to pull off the jumpsuit you have to have a very specific body type. Long and lean. Short squatty girls, like myself, would not fair well in a jump suit.

January 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm Reply
  • Liz

I think it can work on the right figure, sadly i don’t think my short roundish frame would pull it off very well, but i’m not opposed to it!

January 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm Reply
  • Shannon of ** Happiness Is...**

The top one is GORGE!! xo

January 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm Reply
  • Krysten

They’re very pretty but with me being as short as I am I don’t think I could ever pull one off.

January 5, 2011 at 7:24 pm Reply
  • Josie

I don’t dislike the look of jumpsuits but could NEVER pull one off — I think I’m just too short.
    xo Josie

January 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm Reply
  • Suburban H.I.T.

Jumpsuits are like rompers. Best left for little kids.

January 5, 2011 at 7:54 pm Reply
  • Grace

Mmm, I actually think that French Connection one could be perfect for a summer day. I kind of prefer rompers, though.

January 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm Reply
  • Giselle

I completely had the experience of buying a jumpsuit and shortly returning it after realizing that my short body just couldn’t handle the look, but I love the color of the Elie Saab jumpsuit. And maybe one day I’ll find one that works for my size πŸ˜‰
    ~Giselle

January 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm Reply
  • Kelly

My sister can rock the jumpsuit but so far not so good for me…

January 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm Reply
  • sara@domesticallychallenged

Have you ever seen a pear in a jumpsuit? Not pretty. So? I will leave this one to the boy shapes!

January 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm Reply
  • Julia

If you have the right attitude you can pull off anything. That’s just the rule I live by. And so, I think jumpsuits are trendy and so totally in. I don’t have one…yet. πŸ™‚

January 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm Reply
  • Jessica

I love the idea of them – and I adore how they look – but I’m not going to rock one. I just wonder about the practicality of them when I have to use the ladies room!

January 5, 2011 at 10:10 pm Reply
  • Maddy

The jumpsuits on the long and lean models look fantastic! But on the average woman, I think it’s a little more difficult to pull off!

January 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm Reply
  • Lyddiegal

I’ll admit to wearing a romper last year, but i think a jumpsuit is just too much. i wont do it.

January 5, 2011 at 10:44 pm Reply
  • bananas.

DO!!!

but only if you’re 5’8″ or tallers. shorties like me look ridic in pant jumpsuits.

January 6, 2011 at 12:45 am Reply
  • Audrey Allure

I think it’s a cute look if someone can pull it off, but it’s definitely not my style lol

January 6, 2011 at 1:01 am Reply
  • Imogen

I have never worn a jumpsuit before but I would be interested to see what one would like on me and if it suits me. I definitely think they can look good if styled correctly.

January 6, 2011 at 1:25 am Reply
  • Holly

Oooh girl I wouldn’t even try, but I’m not very ballsy when it comes to fashion. I think it would be cute on the right person in the right situation.

January 6, 2011 at 1:28 am Reply
  • Lee Oliveira

I love jumpsuits.. they look so hot and tall girls..
    They should do printed ones.. Haven’t seen it before?
    Lee x

January 6, 2011 at 3:36 am Reply
  • Fanny

o h yes, I see me wearing a jumpsuit, loooooove it x

January 6, 2011 at 4:35 am Reply
  • Michele

I’d rock that Halston Heritage silk charmeuse jumpsuit in a heartbeat! I agree with Maddy though – on the average woman I’m not sure if it can be pulled off.

January 6, 2011 at 6:27 am Reply
  • blueviolet

No. No. No.

January 6, 2011 at 7:34 am Reply
  • Life of a Doctor's Wife

The jumpsuits you feature are all so lovely… But man, I could NEVER pull one off!

(And I just don’t know about the whole bathroom issue. How do you DEAL with that while wearing a jumpsuit?)

January 6, 2011 at 10:01 am Reply
  • Andi

At 1st I really resisted this trend, but now I’m starting to dig it. I LOVE the ones you have pictured. GORGEOUS!!!

January 6, 2011 at 10:27 am Reply
  • betsy

If you can pull it off a do…If not it is a big don’t. I know I can’t pull it off. lol

January 6, 2011 at 10:55 am Reply
  • Daphne

Wow, I love the first gold one and the last black one a lot. But, yes not sure if I would buy/wear them in real life. The issue is ease of use, primarliy the difficulty of going to the bathroom. May be for a dressy evening event it could work. I do own one romper I got last year and wore it as a dressy piece.

January 6, 2011 at 11:17 am Reply
  • brett

rocked the style in high school
    my philosophy is usually that if I wore the trend when it was first in style that it is best not to revisit that style lol

January 6, 2011 at 11:18 am Reply
  • stacy

Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry I’m late to the party πŸ™ Thank you soooo much for the shout out! Love you girls, you’re the BEST! And I also happen to love that sexy French Connection number!

xoxoxo

January 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm Reply
  • kristin

I say the work fabulously. Just got one myself and I wear it ALL the time:) From Rock and Republic:::)

January 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm Reply
  • carma

I’ve always liked jumpsuits – well, except for that time they wouldn’t let me into a club because I had on a denim jumpsuit and they said it was “jeans” – pffffff!!! had to drive all the way home while my friends (and future husband) stayed!!!!!
    BTW, it was from spiegel and a soft cotton

January 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm Reply
  • Kate Coveny Hood

Not for me – but I think they can look super cute on the right person. Short people (or people with short legs) should probably steer clear.

This reminds me of Gretchen’s winning jumpsuit on Project Runway.

January 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm Reply
  • Polly

Im a jumpsuit lover, I have a cute little black one with 3/4 legs – looks fab with heels or dressed down with a tee and flats. All hail the jumpsuit.

January 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm Reply
  • Casee Marie

I love the look of jumpsuits, but I haven’t worn one in years. I found a really darling animal print one on DorothyPerkins.com that I adore completely – http://bit.ly/idGj15 – but they sold out of all sizes except UK 8/US 6 and that just isn’t going to be happening for me anytime soon. lol!

January 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm Reply
  • isabel

i dont think i can pull off a jumpsuit but i like them on others.

January 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm Reply
  • Sharon (The Backseat Stylers)

I think jumpsuits are fab on other ppl…not me. I’m too short!

January 7, 2011 at 12:20 am Reply
  • Sierra

definitely not a fan, i have short legs and they would be super unflattering unfortunately! they do however look great on the ladies with long legs!

January 7, 2011 at 2:03 am Reply
  • Krystal/Village

I think they are a do!! Thanks for the welcome back, Kristin!!

January 7, 2011 at 4:55 am Reply
  • Nadette@Eat, Read, Rant!

Even though the look of that black jumpsuit is cute, I just can’t get past the fact that a jumpsuit is an adult onesie. It literally makes me chuckle. And then there’s the fact that you have to disrobe almost entirely to answer nature’s call, and that’s defintely a deal breaker. But I would totally rock a two piece set to get the look of the last jumpsuit.

January 7, 2011 at 10:38 am Reply
  • Cheryl

it’s very easy to look terrible in a jumpsuit, but i like the one from zappos couture.

January 7, 2011 at 10:59 am Reply
  • Melanie's Randomness

I definitely can’t pull off the jumpsuit look so I’m going to pass! They are pretty tho!! =)

Melanie’s Randomness

January 10, 2011 at 11:46 am Reply
  • Jenny

I like the idea, but few can actually pull them off. I’m not one of the few – lol!

January 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm Reply
  • Vegas Fashion Stylist

Jumpsuits are a Do , depending on how they look in the butt. So if your but looks good in a jump wear it. Oh yes, but no denim please.

January 12, 2011 at 12:52 am Reply
  • Tracy

I would love to wear that last pantsuit! Too cute!

January 12, 2011 at 2:35 am Reply