Hello again, BonBon Rose Girls readers! I’m so happy to be back and contributing my easy tart recipe for this very special occasion, Mothers Day. I don’t know about you, but my mother is one of the most special people in my life and celebrating her is a no-brainer! In fact, all the moms I know – aunts, grandmothers, friends and sisters deserve a little celebrating, don’t you think?
Being that I’m Italian, I think of celebrating as an excuse to make some delicious food and, in this case, I made a tart that any mother would simply adore! This savory tart is filled with yummy ingredients like onions, garlic, tomatoes and feta cheese and will look beautiful on any Mothers Day brunch table. Plus, this recipe uses pre-made puff pastry and takes little time which means more time for Mimosas and celebrating your mom!
Thanks to Kristen LeQuire for the beautiful photos.
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed and unrolled
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 beaten eggs
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles (I like cheese…)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream (or lowfat milk if you want to be good)
2 tomatoes sliced into half moons (1 red, 1 green)
Several basil leaves
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 inch glass pie plate.
• Press the thawed puff pastry pieces on the bottom and sides of pie dish, crimping on the sides, the messier the better – it will look rustic and
beautiful if the edges aren’t perfectly straight.
• Mix beaten eggs, salt, pepper, heavy cream in a bowl.
• Over medium heat, heat olive oil and saute onions for about 7-10 minutes until softened. Add minced garlic for one minute and remove from heat. Add to
egg mixture and stir.
• Pour egg mixture over puff pastry and drop in crumbled feta.
• Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes and then top with half moon tomato slices in a pretty pattern, basil leaves and a few crumbles of feta. Bake for 20-30
more minutes until center is set, checking to make sure the crust isn’t overbrowning. If it is you can cover with foil until its finished baking. Makes 6