Two Healthy Switches for the New Year

Tracking PixelIf you’ve been reading our blog for a while, you know that I’ve struggled with my post baby weight loss. While a post pregnancy thyroid issue has made things challenging for me, I decided to use it as an opportunity to make some healthy switches in my life. It may take me longer to lose weight than some, but that doesn’t mean I can’t make healthy choices along the way. I’ve found that the key is to try not to get frustrated and take comfort in the fact that I’m making choices that will be better for me in the long run. So, thanks to Sara Lee®, I’m excited to be here sharing two healthy switches that I’ve made and that you could make two if you’re looking to get healthier in the new year!

iced tea

For instance, I made the switch from soda to unsweetened ice tea. My hubs has joined me for that ride as well. Instead of sugary soda, we brew our own tea or even pick some up from our favorite local grocery store. Can I tell you how much better I feel? I don’t crave it any more and finding myself wanting to reach for a refreshing glass of tea or water, when before I would have cracked open a soda. Sure, I still have one every now and again as a treat, but it’s not the daily habit it once was.

sara lee delightful bread

I’ve also started eating a substantial meal for breakfast. Breakfast has always been a challenge for me. I just wasn’t hungry in the morning, but we all know how important starting your day with a healthy meal is. So, I started eating savory things for breakfast. Instead of sticking to traditional breakfast foods alone, I made meals that were filled with protein and vegetables. Meals like that are much kinder to my struggling metabolism.

open faced sandwich ingredients

open faced sandwich

If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast idea, try an open faced veggie melt on for size. Sara Lee® Delightful Bread is a healthier bread option that you can use as the base for your breakfast sandwich. These breads are heart healthy, filled with fiber and contain no artificial flavors or high fructose corn syrup. I chose the multi-grain flavor for my dish, but Delightful Bread also comes in flavors like Oatmeal and Wheat. It’s a great alternative to regular old white bread that has little nutritional value!

veggie melt

For this open faced sandwich, you simply pile on the veggies (I used spinach tomato and onion), top with cheese (I went for reduced fat Swiss) and pop it all under the broiler for a few minutes. Just a short time later you’ll have a tasty melt that will help give you the energy you need to start your day!

So, if you’ve found yourself wanting to make a healthy transformation, but haven’t quite known where to start, try these two easy switches that I’ve made. They’re a great way to jump start your journey to a healthier lifestyle! And if you’re as excited about getting healthy as I am, you’re going to love Sara Lee® Delightful Person Contest! Head on over and share your healthy transformation story…Each and every person who enters will win a t-shirt and if you’re one of the 45 finalists, the person with the most votes from fans will win $4,500!!!

Sara-Lee-logo

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sara Lee®

• Robin (Masshole Mommy)

I am always looking to cut calories. I need to get some of that bread.

December 18, 2014 at 6:04 pm Reply
  • becca

Yummy. this is a great way to cut calories by eating healthier bread. thank you for sharing.

December 18, 2014 at 6:42 pm Reply
  • maria @ close to home

those sandwiches look delicious. Love that they are open face and less carbs.

December 18, 2014 at 6:51 pm Reply
  • Tonya C

Great idea to eat a sandwich for breakfast! I too will be cutting out all soda!

December 18, 2014 at 7:24 pm Reply

I would sooooo eat a sandwich for breakfast. Especially if avocado comes on it. 🙂 Hang in there, mama. I am also struggling to lose the post baby weight.

December 18, 2014 at 7:48 pm Reply
  • Liz Mays

Yes! That is my kind of sandwich.I love the 45 calorie bread!

December 18, 2014 at 8:17 pm Reply
  • Pam

I have been eating this bread for awhile and with the right toppings or spreads, it is very good. I love that it has fiber and is low carb, not just low calorie. Kudos to you for you switch from soda to iced tea.

December 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm Reply
  • Mama to 5 BLessings

That bread looks great! I wonder if my local grocer carries this, I will have to check it out!

December 18, 2014 at 9:05 pm Reply
  • lisa

We love multi grain here! It is so much healthier then white bread

December 18, 2014 at 9:10 pm Reply
  • Debbie Denny

Cutting soda is great. I did last year and I love it and the healthier eating I do now.

December 18, 2014 at 9:15 pm Reply
  • Ginger Mommy

Your sandwich looks delicious. I need to get some of that bread and make one, I am always looking for new ways to eat better.

December 18, 2014 at 10:31 pm Reply
  • Michelle F.

That veggie melt looks really good. I love that they are only 45 calories a slice.

December 19, 2014 at 1:53 am Reply
  • Allison

Hey K! Long time since I’ve been around. That’s a good idea to eat a bigger meal for breakfast. I heard someone mention making fresh lemonade too instead of soda and it made me want to do that. I’m having a horrible time trying to lose all of this weight because of my endocrine problems. I’m doing the ketogenic diet because it seems to help a little bit.

December 19, 2014 at 5:26 am Reply
  • Robin (Masshole Mommy)

I am going to try to cut back, too. That bread sounds awesome.

December 19, 2014 at 6:59 am Reply
  • Heather

That looks like an awesome sandwich! Carbs tend to be my weakness too.

December 19, 2014 at 8:11 am Reply
  • Jessica Beal Harlow

We tried the Sara Lee breads (they were on sale) and now I usually pick them! We like the soft bread and the fewer calories. I love bread but it can stack on the calories and carbs and I don’t even realize it!

December 19, 2014 at 8:52 am Reply
  • jen temcio @dapperhouse

I forgot about “melts” for sandwiches. I don’t know if I have even made one in the past 10 years! This looks so so so good! (mmmm cheese)

December 19, 2014 at 10:03 am Reply
  • Debra

I really need to give up soda! I did so well for awhile when I was pregnant!

December 19, 2014 at 11:40 am Reply
  • Debi @ Life Currents

Those melts look great for breakfast! I wish I could get my husband to try something like that, but breakfast to him is cereal or eggs. Oh well, I can eat it all myself!

December 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm Reply
  • Amy Kelsch

Great ways to make healthy changes in your diet- I am such a big fan of getting rid of the soda. I know it is hard to do but so important! Awesome job!

December 19, 2014 at 1:41 pm Reply
  • Ami

Nice going! PLEASE just be patient with your weight loss. You’re doing the right thing – small changes and staying consistent. There are so many awful ads out there touting big losses in short amounts of time, which completely frustrate every person trying to lose weight the right way. It’ll be slow, but it will work if you just keep plugging away. High five, lady. You’re doing wonderfully. Happy Holidays!

December 19, 2014 at 2:11 pm Reply
  • Onica {MommyFactor}

Good for you for making these healthy changes. I love it when changes are positive, healthy and yummy.

December 19, 2014 at 4:43 pm Reply
  • Danielle

I do love a good sandwich! This one looks delicious.

December 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm Reply
  • kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor

That bread looks awesome….and now I want a sandwich!! 🙂

December 19, 2014 at 5:17 pm Reply
  • Elizabeth Towns

I like the way you determined to use this as an opportunity instead of looking at it as a downfall. That is a winning attitude. I have no doubt you will get the weight off that you want off. Great choices in the change area too.

December 19, 2014 at 5:23 pm Reply
  • Jaime

I love Sara Lee bread and I haven’t seen this one yet. I am so getting it! Yum!

December 19, 2014 at 10:22 pm Reply
  • Travel Blogger

Oh my gosh that looks absolutely delicious. Healthy foods really can be so yummy.

December 20, 2014 at 10:46 pm Reply
  • Caitlin

Nice! I too love when I can make myself a good breakfast – but I usually just make a cup of coffee lol. But I think I could totally make this. Nice inspiration for me:)

December 21, 2014 at 12:23 am Reply
  • Christina

That looks delicious! I am always looking for filling breakfast ideas. I found your blog from Budget Babe’s website. Love it!

Christina