We are all about eating “bars” at our house. Wether they are a power bar, granola bar or something a little more on the chocolatey side, they make such easy on the go snacks. Throughout my entire pregnancy with Max, I ate a power bar almost every day on my long commute in the city. When you are stuck in traffic prego, it helps to have something on hand to avoid the drive thru or prevent you from looking under the seats for goldfish.
I had heard that making your own bars could be pretty easy, so I decided to give it a go. I used ingredients that we mostly had on hand to create these Cherry Peanut Butter Power Bars. They got two thumbs up from everyone in the house and I think we will be making them again and again!
Cherry Almond Granola Bars
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 cup of chopped peanuts
5 oz dried cherries
(Handful of chocolate chips if desired)
1. Place parchment paper in an 8×8 inch baking dish, making sure the paper hangs over on both sides so that you can pull out the granola bars easily. Set aside.
2. Combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, honey and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir frequently.
3. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes stirring continually.
4. Stir in the oats and crispy rice cereal slowly and until evenly coated.
5. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes.
6. Once the mixture has cooled slightly, fold in the peanuts, cherries and chocolate chips. Next press the mix into into the prepared dish and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.