If you know me in real life, you know I LOVE to bake! Before the kiddos came along, my baking skills were wasted as the hubs doesn’t exactly have my same level of sweet tooth. Haha! Luckily, my babies love a sweet treat as much as I do and while I, obviously, don’t give them sugar all the time, a little treat every once and a while is ok by me. So, these Halloween ready donuts are right up our alley!
This recipe is adapted from The Comfort of Cooking
1 cup all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons molasses
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a standard size 6-cup donut pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Mix well.
3. In a separate smaller bowl, combine buttermilk, oil, molasses, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not over-mix or your donuts could be tough. Batter should be lumpy. Spoon batter equally into the 6 donut pan cups.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.
6. Allow donuts to cool completely then dip in dark chocolate gaze and finish with an assortment of Halloween sprinkles.
Dark Chocolate Glaze:
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon whole milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in milk and corn syrup. Use immediately.
Dark Chocolate Glaze recipe adapted from Martha Stewart