Are you cold yet? This girl sure is! And my kiddos are not loving it either. Haha! So, I’m having to come up with ways to entertain them while it’s nasty outside. Getting them in the kitchen always helps. They just love being by my side in there and it’s a bonus when it’s a tasty treat like these White Chocolate Covered Snowmen!
Ingredients (yields 6 large Rice Krispies Snowmen from a 9 x 9 pan):
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
Directions for Krispies:
1. Spray a 9 x 9 pan with Pam and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. And the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula (spray with Pam ), transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely.
Ingredients for Snowmen:
Prepared pan of Rice Krispies (from recipe above)
2 T solid shortening
3/4 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
Large White Chocolate Bar – grated (I used Ghirardelli) OR you can use 1/4 cup shredded coconut
Black write-on gel
Orange write-on gel
Mini chocolate chips
12 Sprees candies
2 black licorice wheels
6 Airhead candies – large size
1. With a knife, cut 6 long rectangular snowman pieces from your prepared pan of Rice Krispies. Set aside.
2. With a cheese grater, grate the large white chocolate bar into small pieces and set aside.
3. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
4. In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt the shortening for 40 seconds.
5. Add the white chocolate melts to the shortening and stir until completely melted.
6. Coat each Rice Krispies piece with the melted white chocolate and lay on the wax paper lined baking sheet. Set aside any remaining melted white chocolate for use later.
7. Sprinkle the grated white chocolate on top of each Rice Krispies piece. Let “set” for 20 minutes.
8. Cut each Airhead candy piece in half lengthwise and attach to make one long piece for the scarf. I just overlapped them a bit and pressed down hard to make one long piece.
9. With a scissors, cut six 2 inch pieces from the licorice wheels. Set aside.
10. Count out 12 pieces of Sprees candies for the ear muffs.
Assembly Directions for Snowmen:
1. Re-microwave the remaining white chocolate melts from step 6 in 10 second intervals until melted again.
2. Dip one side of each spree candy piece into the melted chocolate and apply to the side of each snowman head. (2 of the same color sprees for each snowman). Hold in place for 10 seconds.
3. Dip the ends of each licorice piece into the melted chocolate and apply on top of the head. Push the ends between each candy spree and the Rice Krispie. Hold for 20 seconds while the melted white chocolate “glues” the ear muffs to the snowmen.
4. Take each Airhead “scarf” and wrap around each snowman about midway down.
5. With the black write-on gel, pipe the eyes and 3 buttons onto each snowman.
6. With the orange write-on gel, pipe the nose into each snowman.
7. For the mouth, gently press 3-4 mini chocolate chips into each snowman to resemble coal.