3 Healthy Habits for Cold and Flu Season

softsoap12

This post is sponsored by Softsoap®.

As much as I look forward to winter, I mean who doesn’t love peppermint mocha time, with the chilly weather months come my least favorite part of this time of year, cough and flu season. Having two kids in school, a hubs who goes into the office and a mom who travels all the time, our family has germs thrown at us…a LOT. The last thing I want is for any of us to fall victim to a nasty bug. I mean we have things to do…places to be. Haha! So, there are a few measures I like to take during cold and flu season to try to keep my family from being down for the count.

cold and flu season

Wash your hands…I can’t stress this enough. You and your kids need to wash them…and wash them often! We use the ABC method. The kids sing the alphabet song while they wash so I know they’re lathering up long enough. You don’t want to everyone to pass germs around to each other. Am I right? I’ve also found that a yummy smell encourages them to wash more, so we’re turning to Softsoap® Antibacterial Hand Soap. Not only does the formula contain moisturizers, it is also clinically proven to eliminate 99%* of bacteria. And it comes in a variety of scents like White Tea & Berry Infusion, Crisp Clean and, my personal favorite Fresh Citrus. Now I know that you may have heard about the FDA ruling regarding antibacterial soaps. Rest assured, Softsoap® Liquid Hand Soap does not contain any of the 19 banned ingredients.

*In a handwashing test vs. the following common harmful bacteria: S. aureus & E. coli

softsoap

Eat a nutrient rich diet…I find that when we’re all eating cleaner, we tend to get sick less. That means we turn to meals and snacks that include lots of fruits and veggies, especially ones that are a good source of vitamin C! Of course we enjoy our delicious Florida oranges, but also other produce like yellow bell peppers, kale, broccoli and kiwi. The key to keeping kids interested when it comes to healthy meals is variety…I’ve always found that vibrant colors help too!

And finally…Get enough sleep…It is imperative for kids and adults alike to get plenty of rest. When my sleep tank is empty, I always seem to pick up a bug and the same goes for the rest of my family. I know sleep is something us busy mamas all too often sacrifice, but being well rested is especially crucial during cold and flu season! Put those smartphones on the other side of the room when you go to bed. Instagram can wait until tomorrow. Haha!

wash your hands

So, as we head into cold and flu season, I urge you to help protect your family this year by encouraging them to wash their hands more so you can to ensure that your loved ones don’t miss out on all the fun winter has to offer! By keeping Softsoap® Liquid Hand Soap handy you’ll have happier, healthier little hands at home this cold and flu season!

Stay connected with Softsoap® by visiting their website or Facebook page.

• Laura

These are very good habits, ones I think we take for granted sometimes. We need to keep our immune systems healthy to give the best defense against the flu and other viruses!

December 27, 2016 at 9:21 pm Reply

I had the flu last week and my husband got it five days ago. This flu has really been hard to get over too.

December 28, 2016 at 12:26 am Reply
  • Amanda Rosson

Ahhh yes, I love this season too but I ALWAYS get sick! I actually was sick on Christmas because I think I caught something during traveling or my two days at a crowded theme park. I’m constantly washing my hands, eating right, and get plenty of sleep but, unfortunately, I have a really weak immune system. Luckily, I’m already bouncing back!

December 28, 2016 at 1:45 am Reply
  • Anna nuttall

I’m teaching my niece on the good habit of washing hands after going to the loo. I will look for these in the supermarket. xx

December 28, 2016 at 7:50 am Reply
  • Jennifer (JenuineMom)

Washing hands is a really big deal this time of year! That reminds me — I need to buy more soap for all the sinks in our house. Thanks!

December 28, 2016 at 9:32 am Reply
  • Anna

Washing your hands is so important to not getting sick. I think that’s why I never get sick.

December 28, 2016 at 9:47 am Reply
  • Charlotte

Some great tips, washing hands is so important, especially at the moment with all the bugs going around, I thought I had gotten away without catching any but unfortunately not!

December 28, 2016 at 11:33 am Reply
  • Allison

These are great tips! My hubby is sick right now, so we are trying to keep our hands washed and the house clean. There is so much yuck going around.

December 28, 2016 at 11:44 am Reply
  • Jalisa Harris

I’ve always used this when growing up. Now that I have a three year old I swear by it.

December 28, 2016 at 1:02 pm Reply
  • Marisa

Great tips. I’m always telling my family to wash their hands! Its very important to get rid of the germs!

December 28, 2016 at 2:55 pm Reply
  • Jazz

Soft-soap makes great scents and that certainly helps hand washing seem a little more fun lol. Thanks for sharing!

December 28, 2016 at 11:05 pm Reply
  • Debbie-jean Lemonte

I’ve been using Softsoap for years. It’s amazing and the green one? Smells awesome!

December 29, 2016 at 1:29 am Reply
  • Foodie Finds Home

We have our kids sing the ABC song too! Eating right is also key, but I need to take your advice on the sleep. This mama is a bit of a night owl!

December 29, 2016 at 1:33 am Reply
  • Amber Nelson

Oh I don’t know how many times I tell my kids to wash their hands. Such a great habit to get into!

December 29, 2016 at 7:27 pm Reply
  • Liz Ingle

I laugh a little as I sit here stuffy and achey in my throat. I could have used this little reminder a week ago. Great writing!

December 30, 2016 at 9:55 am Reply
  • Amy Palumbo

Washing your hands is always very important but especially during cold and flu season! I always wash them after using the restroom and then try to remember to wash before eating.

December 30, 2016 at 4:03 pm Reply
  • Robin Rue

Washing hands is definitely so important. I try to teach my kids this so that they don’t track germs from school to home.

December 31, 2016 at 11:27 am Reply