When Pompeian Olive Oil asked me to take and share the Pompeian Pledge, to switch from butter to olive oil during the month of August, I knew it was a pledge I wanted to make and keep. After all, olive oil is such a healthy alternative to butter for preparing food. And anyone can take the pledge and learn more about National Olive Oil Month.
To demonstrate just how versatile olive oil can be in the kitchen, I decided to try it out for baking. I already use olive oil in a lot of my everyday cooking but baking was an area I still hadn’t made the switch. So after looking at some recipes I adapted this cake to develop a Blueberry Olive Oil Pound Cake using Pompeian Olive Oil (recipe below). Not only did it pass my taste test with flying colors, its pretty too! Perfect to take to a party or serve guests!
While the health benefits of olive oil are no secret, many of us are unaware just how easy it is to swap out butter for olive oil in nearly any recipe. Pompeian’s conversion chart does the work for you. I plan on pinning it to the inside of a cabinet for quick reference.
So who’s with me and ready to take the Pompeian Pledge? Simply visit and 1,000 fans who sign up will be randomly selected to receive a gift from Pompeian (a free movie redemption code and a coupon for a free bottle of olive oil), plus every week 5 additional fans who have pledged will win a fun prize pack on Pompeian’s timeline. And now that we are all cooking lighter using olive oil, what will your recipe switch out be?
BLUEBERRY OLIVE OIL POUND CAKE
6 egg whites
2 cups white sugar
1 cup olive oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 heaping cup blueberries
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp vanilla extract
Whipped topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a one large or two small pound cake pans with cooking spray, and dust with flour.
2. In a bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff (note: this is easier if your egg whites are room temperature!). Beat in the sugar until fluffy. Mix in the olive oil.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt. Alternately mix the egg white mixture and the buttermilk into the flour mixture until smooth. Fold in the blueberries, lemon zest and vanilla. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan(s).
4. Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. This may take longer if you use one pan versus two.
5. Garnish with whipped topping and left over blueberries (optional)
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf Pompeian.