Sometimes life is just so busy I look up at the clock and its 6pm and I haven’t given dinner the slightest thought. On those days I quickly try and pull it together, you know before my troops get restless and hangry. No one wants a hangry three-year-old. It typically doesn’t end well for either party involved. So this was the situation I was in yesterday when I looked up and saw the clock. Luckily I had some nice salmon in the fridge so I was able to get dinner together in 15 minutes. Phew, save the battles for another day.
For the adults I opted for a simple salmon salad and then for Jake he was able to have some of the salmon with some fruit and cheese. I told you, no fancy sides here. This is a good healthy solution in 15 minutes flat! With more planning and prep I would have actually used toasted pine nuts and some feta on this salad so feel free to take the technique and play with it. Salad making should be fun!
Grilled Salmon Salad
2 salmon fillets (approx. 5oz each)
Salad toppings of choice (cheese, almonds, anything you have on hand and want to add!)
1. Heat grill to medium-high heat (for me that’s approx. 8 minutes)
2. While grill is heating up brush salmon with olive oil and then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. I like a good amount of salt and pepper but not quite as much as I would use for a steak.
3. Prepare salad plates with greens and tomatoes.
4. Brush grates lightly with olive oil. Then place salmon slightly diagonal on grates. Cook for four minutes. Flip only once and cook for another two to four minutes or until doneness desired.
5. Place salmon on each plate and then top with additional salad toppings.
Once everything is on the table I suggest that you pour a glass of chilled white wine, pat yourself on the back and enjoy! After all, you just made dinner quick! And it was healthy!