Disclosure: Travel accommodations were provided by Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for the purpose of this review.
Top Myrtle Beach Family Vacation Tips
Last week both of our families packed up our swimsuits and drove to South Carolina for a joint Myrtle Beach family vacation. You see, Myrtle Beach is about the halfway point from Kristin’s home in Florida and mine in Maryland. So, we thought it would be the perfect spot to meet. Before we knew it, it was time to load up the minivans with the beach toys and kiddos. After about 8 hours, we arrived in Myrtle Beach.
Having known each other since we were 16, it’s important for us to have our children spend time together and create their own special memories too. What could be a better backdrop for family memories than beautiful sandy shores and the city of Myrtle Beach?!
The kids had a ball reuniting and playing on the beach as we suspected they would. At just six months, Max mostly cooed and slept in a parent’s lap under the umbrella while the boys got busy chasing waves on their boogie boards. The little lady busiest herself with playing in the sand. She is quite the sandcastle mastermind I must say. Being that both Kristin and I are from Florida, I wasn’t sure how the beach itself would compare. As you can see it was stunning.
* Our biggest tip for traveling to Myrtle Beach with your family is to get out there and take advantage of all the fun that this beach has to offer!
It had a nice wide sandy area for playing and lounging and the low tide left a long shallow place for kids to play in without having to go in too deep. The weather was gorgeous and time on the beach was truly the perfect way for us all to relax, unwind and celebrate summer.
More Myrtle Beach Fun
And when anyone needed a break from the beach, our hotel had a lovely pool area for kids to play and eat at. Myrtle Beach has more than just the gorgeous beach to take in with our families. A nice wide boardwalk was fun for us to snag ice cream treats at, play games, listen to live music and, of course, ride the HUGE SkyWheel. The parents almost chickened out, but the kids insisted we take a ride. And we are so glad that they did! It offered such amazing views of the entire area and each carriage was very stable, so it wasn’t all fear and no fun, ha.
Don’t Miss This
Of course no beach vacation is complete without a round of Putt Putt golf. Even though it was evening, it was still warm out so ice cream, once again, was the perfect end to a victorious round. We also made time to go to a minor league baseball game, the Pelicans, and the kids had a ball. Literally, we got one of the balls!
Myrtle Beach Vacation Must Dos
All in all, Myrtle Beach was the ideal spot for us to meet and make once in a lifetime summer memories with our two families. Sure the road trip might have been a little longer than we envisioned due to different kid schedules, but once there we all instantly relaxed and had a blast. Here are some of our Myrtle Beach favorites:
1. The beach! Make sure to save plenty of time for walks and playing. It’s ideal for kids!
2. The boardwalk. An evening strolling the boardwalk and stopping for music, drinks and ice cream. What could be better?
3. Rainy Day. We never had one, but we planned to visit the Ripley’s Aquarium if dark clouds came through. It has great reviews.
4. The SkyWheel. Take a deep breath and know that you will be rewarded with stunning views for miles.
5. Pancakes! We’ve never seen so many great pancake houses. It was hard to choose which one to hit up for breakfast every day.
6. The Pelicans. Take time to root, root, root for the home baseball team. It’s a wonderful stadium filled with engaging kids activities!
7. Brookgreen Gardens. Need a reprieve from the beach? This place is amazing and worth the trip. Part zoo, sculpture garden and play area, it’s a magnificent piece of property that truly highlights the beauty of South Carolina.
So, that’s our visit to Myrtle Beach in a nutshell. Have you ever been? Where’s your favorite place to road trip to? Something tells me the kids are going to expect a repeat visit next year! And stay tuned on Thursday for a video of all our favorite memories from the trip!