Ever since my first kiddo started school, one of my very favorite days has been Dr. Seuss Day. The kids dress up as their favorite Dr. Seuss characters and it’s pretty much the cutest thing EVER! Well, this year, I thought I’d go for some extra brownie points and make some special treats for this oh so special day. Enter Cat in the Hat Cupcakes…
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey’s dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 t vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
DIRECTIONS FOR HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Grease cupcake pan or place cupcake liners in pan.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. With an electric mixer, cream the mixture until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until well incorporated.
5. Stir in the vanilla. Set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
7. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and mix until just wet and combined.
8. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix until combined.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8.
10. Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full.
11. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
18. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
19. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to complete the cooling process.
20. Frost with icing when completely cooled.
INGREDIENTS FOR BLUE BUTTERCREAM ICING:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 t salt
1 T vanilla extract
2 T cold milk
Blue food gel
DIRECTIONS FOR BLUE BUTTERCREAM ICING:
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer.
2. With the mixer on low speed, add half of the sugar until well blended.
3. Add the rest of the sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
4. Add blue gel/coloring until you reach your desired color of dark blue.
5. NOTE: to thin icing, add 1 Tablespoon of milk. If you desire a more thick icing, add 1 Tablespoon of powdered sugar.
6. Add the icing to a decorator bag with a professional tip or you could just use a Ziploc bag snipped off at the side.
7. Pipe the icing onto each cooled cupcake.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE MARSHMALLOW HAT:
1. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the shortening for 40 seconds or until melted.
3. Add the red chocolate melts and stir until completely melted.
4. Dip one end of each marshmallow into the melted red chocolate and gently press that end onto a white chocolate Oreo cookie.
5. Pick each cookie up with the attached marshmallow and dip the top of the marshmallow into the melted red chocolate. Lay on the baking sheet to “set” for at least 20 minutes.
6. Place the completed Dr. Suess hats onto the prepared cupcakes.
And for more tasty treats, check out our Lemon Cookies!