It was the perfect storm for soup making. You may have experienced it yourself on Sunday but Mother Nature decided to ignore that its August and rather we had a Fall day. I know, I know, I’m not ready either and IT’S AUGUST! But it was gray and drizzling and if I hadn’t known otherwise I would have guessed it was early October. Somehow along the way Floyd woke up with a cold. So I decided a chicken based soup would be fitting.
I tried this Spicy Chicken Tortilla soup recipe from Real Simple with a few alterations and low and behold we loved it so much we are declaring it a new household staple! But beware, due to the jalapeno this soups got bite. So much bite that its perfect if you’ve got a head cold, but if you aren’t a fan of getting a good kick in the arse from your dinner you might want to halve or omit the jalapeno. The extras at the end (avocado, cilantro and feta) really add a lot so don’t scrimp in this area unless you have to!
- 1 9-ounce package soft corn tortillas (I used flour tortillas which were great but I had to leave them in the oven for 15 min)
- 2 32-ounce boxes or cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium jalapenos, sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 ears grilled corn (I actually microwaved the corn ears and it was fine, although I’m sure grilling would be even better!)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves (Refused to measure and rather just sprinkled on top of each bowl. After all, its supposed to be “Real Simple”, ha!)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces crumbled Feta cheese, queso blanco, or other fresh white cheese
- Heat oven to 350° F. Cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crispy.
- In a large saucepan, simmer the chicken broth and meat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the red onion, tomatoes, jalapeños, and lime juice. Heat about 5 minutes. Cut the corn from the cobs and add it to the soup.
- Divide the tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Ladle in the soup and top with cilantro, avocado, and cheese.