Do you have a dedicated home office? If not, it’s possible to set up a home office without an extra room. Trust me, I’m in the throws of putting my own together and I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to do it! We actually moved to a new home this fall. And while it’s larger than our last house, I still don’t have an extra room that I want to use as a home office. I’ve decided to use our spare room as a guest room and set up my office in our bedroom. It’s a fairly big room and there is just dead space sitting there, so I might as well make use of it right? So, how do you set up a home office without an extra room? It’s simple…
PIN IT NOW
Let’s talk about HOW to set up a dedicated home office…
1. Give yourself a dedicated space. Whether that’s a corner, a wall, an alcove. Whatever it is, just give yourself enough space for, at the very least, a small desk or table and some shelves. I’ve chosen to create my home office facing the window that looks out at our woods, so I get great light and can look at something pretty when I need a little break.
2. Give it some flavor. If your home office space is nice to look at, you’re more likely to sit down to work. So insert a little YOU into the equation. After you’ve picked up the necessities like a printer, dry erase board, filing system etc., hang some of your favorite accessories on the wall. Or splurge on that girly wall art you’ve had your eye on. Just make it pretty!
3. Let everyone know your home office is YOUR space. Don’t let the kids junk it up with their homework, crafts, toys etc. This is where you’re going to conduct your business and it’s ok if it’s all yours! My kids know where their zones are and where mom’s zone is. There’s no shame in my game.
4. Keep it organized. If your home office isn’t in a room with a door you can close and your desk is a mess, for instance, it will affect the rest of the room it’s sharing space with. Plus, it is so much harder to be productive in chaos. Trust me. I learned that the hard way! Get thee some desk organization products!
5. USE IT. This is my most important tip. Make yourself use your home office. It’s really easy to get used to working from the kitchen table or off your lap on the couch, but distractions are so much more prevalent when you aren’t in your office space.
See? You CAN set up a home office without an extra room!
I’ll be sure to share mine with you when my new bedroom home office space is finished, but in the meantime, I hope you’ll start working on your own dedicated space. You’ll be amazed at how much more productive you’ll be!
Extra Help for Busy Moms
And if you need some help with productivity, I promise our time management tips for moms are game changers! Both Megan and I have two jobs that need our attention, so time management is a must for us. Those paired with our tricks for how to set up a home office without an extra room is going to change the way you work from home! Speaking of working from home…Have you watched our tips for working from home video?!
This is not a sponsored post. It does contain affiliate links.