Much like with any and every holiday, I like to celebrate Valentine’s Day at least a couple weeks in advance of February 14th. That means decorating my home, preparing little treats for my family and even coming up with little surprises each day to get my loved ones into the Valentine’s Day spirit. I’m fairly certain these Valentine Conversation Heart Krispie Treats will be a big hit kinda surprise with all my Valentines…from my kiddos to my honey!
Ingredients for Krispies:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of marshmallows (I used mini)
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
Direction for Krispies:
1. Spray a 9×13 pan with Pam and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula (sprayed with Pam ), transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely before the assembly process.
Ingredients for Valentine:
Prepared 9 x 13 pan of a Rice Krispies
2 T solid shortening
1 cup white Wilton chocolate melts
Food gel in red, blue, green and yellow
Wilton red decorating gel
Heart cookie cutter
4 small bowls
Valentine Assembly Directions:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
2. With a medium heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 12 heart shapes from the pan of cooled Rice Krispies.
3. In a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave the shortening for 45 seconds or until melted.
4. Add the white chocolate melts and stir until completely melted. Depending on your microwave, you may have to microwave an additional 8 seconds and stir to get the white chocolate melted.
3. Evenly distribute the melted white chocolate into the 4 small bowls.
4. Add one drop of food gel into each bowl to ensure a pastel color.
5. Dip the Rice Krispies hearts into each of the bowls and cover completely with the colored chocolate.
6. Set the hearts on the baking sheet to dry for approximately 30-40 minutes.
7. Using the Wilton red decorating gel, write cute sayings on each heart.
And for more conversation heart goodies, check out our conversation heart brownies! We’re conversation heart crazy around here!