A pumpkin cupcake is a festive dessert that works both for the flavors of fall and all the Halloween parties that are happening right now. I am definitely one of those people who go a little pumpkin crazy this time of year. Sorry not sorry, ha. I just love pumpkin even in the form of a pumpkin cupcake.
This recipe makes a dense cupcake but not quite as heavy as pumpkin bread. Cream cheese frosting is the natural frosting of choice.While cream cheese frosting is relatively easy to make, I actually opt for parties or kids to just use store bought frosting and then let them go crazy decorating with sprinkles. It’s just fast and easy. After I made these we actually decorated them outside at our mini picnic table with some friends. The kids were thrilled and it was a really picture perfect fall moment. Oh fall how you seduce with your pretty leaves and pumpkin flavored everything.
Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe
Makes 12 cupcakes
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs (preferably room tempeture)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12 count muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. (Note: Try not to over mix the batter)
- Bake at 350 for 18 minutes. Make sure to check the cupcakes based on your own oven’s cooking time a few minutes beforehand with a toothpick. It should come out clean when inserted.
- Let your pumpkin cupcakes cool for at least 15 minutes before frosting them.
Frost, decorate and eat your pumpkin cupcakes to your heart’s content. Mmmmmmm yum!